Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Peanut Butter Cookie Sandwich...

Steve loves all things peanut butter. Peanut butter cups. Reeces pieces. Peanut butter M&Ms. Peanut butter and chocolate swirled frozen yogurt. You get the idea. I hope he never has to choose between me and peanut butter anything, I'm afraid I wouldn't stand a chance.

While browsing my favorite food blog, ourbestbites.com, I came across these peanut butter sandwich cookies. It's a basic peanut butter cookie (a soft and chewy cookie) with a fluffy peanut butter whipped frosting in the middle. Some might think the frosting is a little over the top, but it really does melt in your mouth. I keep meaning to try a chocolate frosting in the middle but haven't made the leap yet.

Our Best Bites Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies
1 C butter flavored Crisco
1 C creamy peanut butter 
1 C sugar
1 C packed brown sugar
1 t vanilla
3 eggs
3 C flour
2 t baking soda
1/2 t salt Additional white sugar for rolling

Filling:
1 C creamy peanut butter
1/2 C  real butter, softened
4 C powdered sugar
2 t vanilla
3-4 Tbs milk

Cookies
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Cream shortening, peanut butter, and sugars together until light and fluffy, 1-2 minutes. Add in vanilla, and eggs one at a time. In a separate bowl whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt and add to dough. Mix to combine. The dough will be very soft- that’s normal!

Roll dough into 1/2 inch (or a little larger) balls, roll in sugar, place on ungreased cookie sheet and do the little forky criss-cross thing.

Bake for 6-8 minutes, or until puffed and set, but not browned.  Remove from oven, let cool on baking sheet for 2-3 minutes and then transfer to cooling rack. 

Filling: Beat peanut butter, butter, sugar, and vanilla together until smooth, if needed, add milk until desired consistency is reached.  When cookies are completely cooled, spread a layer of frosting on one side and sandwich together. yield: about 4 dozen sandwiches 

4 comments:

  1. I've decided these are best the 2nd day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We LOVE these too! And best yet --- Adam makes them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you brought these delicious troublemakers up. There's a story that goes along with them:
    When you delivered these to our house, I immediately saw their worth and threw them in the freezer (I let the kids have the chocolate-dipped single cookies). When I was allowed sugar at the stroke of midnight Christmas Eve (I happened to be awake working on my talk), I pulled those beauties out and devoured three without taking a breath. So delicious! What if you half-dipped them in chocolate and still filled them with the peanut butter cream? That might be death by cookie right there!
    I'm sojourning into Lightroom. Brad bought me a book tutorial, but it's slow going. When would an expert be free to teach me?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...