Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Being content with what you are...

I am generally a happy and content person. And sometimes as a mother, I've got it. You know what I'm talking about - the groove. Things just work. Kids are happier, I'm happier and life is grand.

But these moments are slippery and hard to hold on to.

Before long I'm breaking up another fight between my children. No matter how many times I sweep the floor in one morning, I still walk through crumbs in my bare feet. And I look in the mirror at the end of the day and wonder who's tired eyes are staring back at me.

Sometimes the "mommy-guilt" creeps in as I feel as though I'm not matching up. I'm not matching up to my own silly standards. Standards that I've set from my associations with other mothers and the overflowing number of perfect mothers I seem to come across through blogs and pinterest.

I tend to get caught up in the mentality that I can do it all. And I know with time and effort I can do it all. I want to paint a room, build a bed, cook a five course dinner, play with my children, pay attention to my husband, have quiet spiritual moments for myself, fold mounds of laundry and in addition spend hours on the computer. And I can do every single one of those things. But not all at the same time. I always tell myself I need to simplify. I try really hard and I truly believe I am making progress, as small as that progress may be. But I've got a long ways to go.

Here's to a simple and content summer!

1 comment:

  1. Amen. Now please try to simplify Kara just to make me not feel so bad about myself.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...