Monday, June 11, 2012

Road trip madness...

I remember as a kid, long car rides were just that, long. I didn't play hand held games. I didn't have an endless supply of DVDs to choose from, or a smart phone to keep me entertained for hours. I brought a good book and I read while all of my siblings slept.

After I got married and moved across the country we always flew to see family. We would hop on a plane and within three hours we were there. It was just enough time to get one good movie in.

After several years of flying to see family we finally moved closer which made a driving distance of 17 hours completely doable. We've made that drive several times now and I'm wondering how in the world my parents did it without any forms of portable entertainment.

On our most recent trip, we watched the first movie within 10 minutes of getting in to the car and as soon as it was done, they were begging and crying for another one. I don't know what I'm trying to prove, but I don't want the DVD player to be on the whole time. There's a part of me that wants them to realize what it used to be like before portable technology. I want Hallie to read in the car like I used to. I want them to play the alphabet game. I want them to sit and have meaningful conversations.

A girl can dream right?

Of course it doesn't work out like that. Hunter likes to suck on his fingers and put them on Hallie's face. Reading makes Hallie sick. Bennett screams if someone is not constantly playing with him. I default to the DVD player because everyone is a little happier.

And sometimes stickers help pass the time as well!

What am I missing? What are some ideas to pass the time with young children in the car without relying on dramamine?

6 comments:

  1. I love reading your blog, I always find myself saying, "I think that too!" I have four children 9,7,3, and 22 months. We moved to Devon from Lincolnshire three years ago and had the exact same dilemma with our children. We went from a quick trip down the road to see family to a good 5-9 hour road trip (traffic depending.) Not as long as your road trips but long enough with 4 kids! We found the following helps:
    The 9/7 yr old get to take it in turns to ride in the front with dad. Steve keeps them busy with conversations about what they are seeing/road signs or just general chit chat. I sit in the middle inbetween the 3 & 22 month old. This way I can hand out snacks without my car looking trashed! Wipe up messy hands/faces. play games/read books with the little one's and sing songs. The 9/7 yr that isn't in the front sits in the back of the 7 seater. He will read or draw or sleep!
    We have done many trips like this and it works a treat. We used to have dvd player for car and ds for car and when they broke we were so worried about doing trips again. It was so much better without them we never replaced them. If we travel at night we leave at the children's bedtime, give the baby her milk and then I sit in the front with Steve and chat while the kids sleep! That is always another alternative!
    Anyway, sorry about the mammoth comment I hope some of it helps!!
    (fuzzy felts/snap cards/magnetic board books/lacing cards/dry erase cards/ sticker books - these are some of the things we use to entertain. I keep them in a box by my feet if I sit in the back!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rebecca- Thanks for words of advice! What kind of games do you pull off in the car. I love the idea but I'm just not sure which ones work best in that space. I do like the dry erase cards, I will definitely be picking up some of those. Thanks

      Kara

      Delete
  2. Ha! I am the same way. I don't know why I even try to resist it, but I also hate having the DVD player on the whole time. It's kind of a game with us to see how long we can stretch the silence between movies. It's not a good road trip if we don't have at least a few hours of cranking up the music and jamming out to our ipod. No good kid entertainment solutions though. None.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought you of all people would have some solutions. Jamming out to the iPod is always a must!!

      Delete
  3. We are about to embark on our journey as well. I'm nervous how Charlotte is going to do! She crawls everywhere and doesn't like to be restrained! Wish we were seeing you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is nothing wrong with drugging your children for peace and quiet in the car. When you think it's bad just go back and re-read the commentary from our road trip last summer. You'll be glad no one is gagging themselves on their blanket or eating almonds from their underwear.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...