Sunday, May 12, 2013

Motherhood...

20121020-DSC_5114 photo 20121020-DSC_5114-1.jpg I can never let this day pass without acknowledging the mother that raised me. The mother that never ceased teaching or loving me despite exhaustion and frustration. The mother that knows just how to comfort me. The mother that sacrificed continuously to ensure my growth and enjoyment. She is an amazing mother. And I'm sure if I asked her, she would describe her mother the same way. And if I called my grandma, she would probably say the same about her mother as well. And it makes me realize these traits describe mothers everywhere in every generation of time.

Now, as a mother of three I more fully understand what being a mother entails. And although I thought I had a good idea from my mother's example, I had no idea just how hard it would actually be. There have been many days where I was done and ready to throw in the towel. It's not easy or nearly as rewarding as blissful minds imagine. But I know what I'm doing is important. These three little humans call me mother and believe I can solve all of their problems. What a responsibility and special gift. DSC_0061 photo DSC_0061-1.jpg 20080926-DSC_0034 photo 20080926-DSC_0034.jpg DSC_5548 photo DSC_5548.jpg

Because the motherhood journey is often overlooked and belittled, I find comfort in those that teach and praise motherhood. The following quotes have touched me in this particular stage of my life and have reminded me of the important mission I'm fulfilling.

"If you are still in the process of raising children, be aware that the tiny fingerprints that show up on almost every newly cleaned surface, the toys- scattered about the house, the piles and piles of laundry to be tackled will disappear all too soon and that you will - to your surprise - miss them profoundly."
--President Thomas S. Monson

You rock a sobbing child without wondering if today’s world is passing you by, because you know you hold tomorrow tightly in your arms.
--Elder Neal A. Maxwell

In speaking of mothers generally, I especially wish to praise and encourage young mothers. The work of a mother is hard, too often unheralded work. . . . Do the best you can through these years, but whatever else you do, cherish that role that is so uniquely yours and for which heaven itself sends angels to watch over you and your little ones. . . . Remember, “To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
-- Elder Jeffrey R. Holland

Motherhood is more than bearing children, though it is certainly that. It is the essence of who we are as women. It defines our very identity, our divine stature and nature, and the unique traits our Father gave us.
--Sister Sheri Dew

I am impressed by countless mothers who have learned how important it is to focus on the things that can only be done in a particular season of life. If a child lives with parents for 18 or 19 years, that span is only one-fourth of a parent’s life. And the most formative time of all, the early years in a child’s life, represents less than one-tenth of a parent’s normal life. It is crucial to focus on our children for the short time we have them with us and to seek, with the help of the Lord, to teach them all we can before they leave our homes.”
--Elder Russell M. Ballard

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...