Tuesday, January 6, 2015

2014 Christmas Card...

As a graphic designer, Christmas cards are something I look forward to and plan far in advance.

This year's card idea hit me in September when we were contemplating Halloween costumes. We were the Incredibles on our card one year, why not be Lego people this year?! But if I was going to go to all the effort in creating the time-consuming costumes, the card deserved a little extra punch.

Here's the front and back. "Everything (at Christmas time) is Awesome"
Life with Fingerprints: Christmas Card 2014, Lego Family pop-up card

And the inside - a pop-up lego family. "When you are part of a team. Merry Christmas from our team to yours."
Life with Fingerprints: Christmas Card 2014, Lego Family pop-up card
Life with Fingerprints: Christmas Card 2014, Lego Family pop-up card
Life with Fingerprints: Christmas Card 2014, Lego Family pop-up card
The whole idea driving this card was the pop-up, its what I was most excited about designing. And as I started pricing dies out I saw my vision being slowly squashed due to price. But the printer I usually use tipped me off on a search to finding a laser die cut service and I found a great one. If anyone is looking for affordable die cuts - smartpress.com was awesome - so much cheaper than traditional dies.
 Life with Fingerprints: Christmas Card 2014, Lego Family pop-up card
And because these questions were asked time and time again after we sent out our card:
Yes, those lego people are really us.
No they are not photoshopped on.
Yes, they were slightly uncomfortable and somewhat hard to see out of.
No, I will never make one of these costumes again!
Yes, I am keeping them. They're currently wrapped in plastic in the attic for who knows how long before we pull them down and revive the Lego family.
Yes, we were a hit at the neighborhood Halloween party and basically ended up posing with every family for a photo op. And most predicted the Lego family would make the Christmas card.

I've said this before but it's my favorite card to date!

13 comments:

  1. You are amazing! Is there anything your can't do? Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plenty...just ask my husband! It just so happens that the majority of my skill set is "displayable" skills!

      Delete
  2. Wow, you're so talented :) Love your ideas & creations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My kids loved your card! So creative!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was popular with the 6 and under crowd! ;)

      Delete
  4. Loved your card!! By far the favorite of this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only I could put my card in your hand addressed envelopes. I've been dying to know, how do you do those?? Is there a special pen you use. Please divulge your secrets!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...