Monday, March 7, 2016

A peaceful moment...

A day after we got home from the hospital I was feeling a little overwhelmed. I sat on the couch, tired and sore and having a hard time getting comfortable while the whirlwind of life seemed to be going on around me with kids and meals and chores and everything else. I was still but everything around me was in constant motion. I needed more stillness.
 photo 20160305-DSC_5425.jpg
That afternoon found me outside soaking in a peaceful moment while most of the family was inside resting/napping. The temperature was perfect - not too hot, not too cold and it was overcast. The orange blossoms were in full bloom and the sweet smell filled the air. The birds were singing simple tunes. And I sat holding a three-day old baby. The time passed slowly and an inner peace washed over me. It was exactly what I needed that afternoon as I struggled with the hormone shift my body was experiencing (and still is experiencing!).
 photo 20160305-DSC_5441.jpg
After a while, Steve came out to join me and we enjoyed the moment together. And because we are never alone for very long - in no time the kids were outside with us; smothering us with their love. The peaceful moment turned into a moment of gratitude for the family we've created. Not usually a calm and quiet family, but definitely a loving family.
 photo 20160305-DSC_5429.jpg

9 comments:

  1. He is so cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. he is A D O R A B L E!!!!!! so happy his delivery went well. now comes the real test! :) i remember with #5 i just wanted alone time with the baby, so we flew my husband's single sister out and my husband, sister-in-law, and the kids played all week and i had the house to myself!!!! congratulations!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea! I love the quiet moments - although they're rare.

      Delete
  3. he is A D O R A B L E!!!!!! so happy his delivery went well. now comes the real test! :) i remember with #5 i just wanted alone time with the baby, so we flew my husband's single sister out and my husband, sister-in-law, and the kids played all week and i had the house to myself!!!! congratulations!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. He is gorgeous and perfect. I only have the one, but remember recovery was so hard. I couldn't imagine doing it with four other kids. Good things their cute faces make it worth it. You are super-woman!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alicia - I've had five and the recovery after each one is hard, whether it's one or five. We're to the stage now where our daughter is quite helpful and is making the transition much easier for me - my boys however are not quite as helpful!

      Delete
  5. I am tearing up, he is absolutely precious! Can't imagine the craziness, as I only have 3. Glad you had that little moment to soak it alllll in. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The things we do to bring kids into this world!! Love them all to pieces but man is it an emotional roller coaster - which makes you appreciate quiet moments just a little more.

      Delete
  6. What a sweet baby! He's adorable. Wishing you many more of those moments!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...