Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Broiled corn...

One of my favorite summer foods is corn on the cob. I've boiled, grilled, steamed and frozen corn on the cob. Although my mom would argue that it's a starch, I claim it to be my favorite vegetable. However, corn is not readily available most of the year and even when it is available, it takes some work.

I was at Paradise Bakery a while back eating my favorite: BBQ chopped chicken salad which comes topped with grilled corn. I commented to my friend that I would put grilled corn on every salad if I had it on hand. That is when I was introduced to a very simple yet genius concept: broiled corn.

Don't get me wrong- nothing truly compares to freshly grilled corn, but this is a great alternative.

Take a bag of frozen corn, toss it with melted butter (you can also use oil, but the butter flavor is more like my grilled corn) and throw in some salt and pepper. Spread it out on a cookie sheet and broil in the oven for a few minutes. If you broil too long the kernals start to shrivel, so watch them.

That's it. Grilled-like corn in no time to throw on top of a salad or even as a vegetable (or starch) to go with dinner. Life with Fingerprints: Broiled Corn I'm still going to grill my corn this summer, but the advantage of broilng - the kernals don't get stuck in your front teeth while eating them off the cob (causing conversation embarrassment) and the juices don't shoot across the table hitting your dinner guest!

1 comment:

  1. If you're really in a rush, Trader Joe's sells frozen grilled corn. It's great in recipes like stuffed peppers or anything else you just want to dump the corn into because it adds extra flavor.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...