Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Lego guy face cut-out...

Life with Fingerprints: Lego Birthday Party Photo Op; Lego Mini-Figure Face in the Hole, Face Cut Out
We've been prepping for a lego celebration for someone special's birthday party coming up. We made a surprisingly easy Lego guy face cut-out for kids to take their pictures with. The best part: no paint required. You need a poster of the image, spray adhesive and a piece of wood or even cardboard.
Life with Fingerprints: Lego Birthday Party Photo Op; Lego Mini-Figure Face in the Hole, Face Cut Out
I searched high and low to find a printer to print a 4ft tall picture of a Lego guy. I had quotes coming in at $80, which was not happening for a kids birthday party. When I had nearly given up hope of a photo op station - I came across Walgreens who prints banners - 2'x6' for $25 (they always have coupons for their print shop which can get you 40% off). I was a little skeptical at the quality for that price, but I was pleasantly surprised. It printed true to color and was as crisp as the original photo.

The banner came 24" wide, which is exactly the width of "Project Boards" from Home Depot, so no cutting of wood. Keep your banner rolled up because it makes it easier to work with. Spray the top six inches of the board and line up the top of the poster and press into place.
Life with Fingerprints: Lego Birthday Party Photo Op; Lego Mini-Figure Face in the Hole, Face Cut Out
Spray the next 6-8 inches and slowly unroll the banner smoothing out as you unroll. Keep spraying, smoothing and unrolling until you reach the bottom.
Life with Fingerprints: Lego Birthday Party Photo Op; Lego Mini-Figure Face in the Hole, Face Cut Out
Hunter was in heaven. What kid obsessed with Legos wouldn't love a life size mini figure?!

I told him I needed to cut out his face and a look of horror came over him. "Don't ruin my Lego guy". The only reason why I made this guy was to cut out his face! I let it hang out in the house for a couple days and after the newness wore off Hunter wasn't nearly as sad to see his face go.
Life with Fingerprints: Lego Birthday Party Photo Op; Lego Mini-Figure Face in the Hole, Face Cut Out
I used a jigsaw to cut out a circle. I first cut picture side up (which leaves a rough edge) so I could see where I needed to cut and then I flipped it picture side down and went around the circle again to create a nice clean edge on the front.

The kids then took turns pretending to be Emmet. Pretty entertaining. Especially the voices.

You can download the file I sent to Walgreens here. It's set up as a 2x6 banner - although the graphic is only about 2x4.

46 comments:

  1. I love this! Can you share where you found the high res (jpg?) picture of Emmett? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Send me your email at karapothier at yahoo dot com and I'll shoot it over to you!

      Delete
  2. I'm looking to do exactly this for my son's Lego birthday party! Thanks for the info, I've been wondering how to accomplish it. Could you share where to find the high res images of Lego mini figs please?! Thanks x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Send me your email at karapothier at yahoo dot com and I'll shoot it over to you!

      Delete
  3. I can't seem to get the lego guy to fit the entire banner like yours...any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a 2x4 picture placed on a 2x6 banner. Because of the proportions of the lego figurine it worked best as a 2x4 but it was cheaper to print it as a 2x6 banner. Hope that helps!

      Delete
  4. Hello, this is a great idea! Can you tell me where to find the image?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing this image with me, it was very kind of you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, love this...what a great idea! Would you mind sharing the image with me as well? We are having a lego party in a couple of weeks and my son will flip for this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome idea..Could you please add the image to this post or email it to me? I plan on following in your steps :).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so in love with this and am doing a lego party. Is there any chance you could share with me as well?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi there, would you mind sending me the image? You did a fantastic job! Also I was wondering if there are any other lego men or lego woman images where you found Emmet?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Kara,
    How did you make this stand up once you were finished with it?

    ReplyDelete
  11. looking for this image and can't find it. Can you email it to me ashey2003_676 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. its ashley2003_676 at yahoo dot com. left out the l

      Delete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i would love to do this for my sons bday party next month. can you please share the image....i cant seem to find a good one that will fit on the 2x6 banner..
    thank you so much!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. my email is tiffanypacheco611 at gmail dot com.....thanks in advance

      Delete
  14. Hi! I just found your site and love the photo ideas! Could you email me the image as well. My son saw this online with me and now I have to try and make it. Hope it comes out as good as yours did....
    thecorbettcrew@gmail.com
    Thank you, Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello, I really love your LEGO cut-out idea! Would you still be willing to share the picture? Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I agree with everyone, the cut-out looks great. I have been able to locate a high resolution image to use, could you also send me a copy of the image at hences613@gmail.com. Also, I was wondering what you setup to allow the board to stand on its own? Thanks in advance

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi! This is adorable! Would you mind sending me the high resolution image? Our elementary school is having a fundraiser and the theme this year is Lego. Thank you so much!!! holly.paniagua@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi!! I have been looking all over!!! Please send me the picture of teh cut out in high res. please, e-mail is presidentialiss@gmail.com. Thank you much :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The link is at the bottom of this post. Thanks

      Delete
  21. This is amazing!!!! I emailed you from the comments above if you are still willing to share this image! I have an almost 4 year old who would love his own Emmett!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The link is at the bottom of this post. Thanks

      Delete
  22. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi. I am trying to download the banner to print for my grandson's birthday party. I can't get it to download. Thanks. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've updated the link in this post for downloading. Thanks

      Delete
  24. Could you please email me the high resolution image...I tried but could not get it to download. Thanks for sharing your tips too!
    b4kmaui@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've updated the link in this post for downloading. Thanks

      Delete
  25. Could you please email me the high resolution image. I couldn't download it.
    Mberregard1@hotmail.com. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've updated the link in this post for downloading. Thanks

      Delete
  26. Hi,
    Can you please email me this image. MD dot BAGINSKI at GMAIL dot COM . Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The link is at the bottom of this post. Thanks

      Delete
  27. Can you tell me what size your facehole is/was? I have a different image I want to use, but am not sure the existing face is large enough. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Can you please send me the photo as well. Thank you
    Lizardamp@msn.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The link is at the bottom of this post. Thanks

      Delete
  29. Can you please send me the photo as well. Thank you
    Lizardamp@msn.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The link is at the bottom of this post. Thanks

      Delete
  30. This looks amazing! We are having a lego birthday in a couple weeks and I really think this would add to the fun. Could you please send me the photo file when you have time? I tried to locate a file myself and couldn't find one with a high enough resolution. Thank you so much! amberc.white@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The link is at the bottom of this post. Thanks

      Delete
    2. Thank you. I did see that link, but it was too large to upload to Walgreens page, darn it :-) I found another picture that will work. This will really add to the fun at our party. Thanks again!

      Delete
  31. This is such an easy way to this, thank you! I'm doing a different theme, can you tell me what resolution I should find for my image?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...