Thursday, September 18, 2014

Succulent sorrows...

I was told that anyone could grow succulents. I was told you couldn't kill succulents. I was told they are the most low maintenance plants you can have. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong.
Life with Fingerprints: Planting succulents, Ikea plants
Hallie and I were at Ikea and we came across the live plant section. We carefully picked out 7 succulent plants to grace our entertainment center. We carefully planted each one and displayed them in the living room.
Life with Fingerprints: Planting succulents, Ikea plants
I watered them per the directions on the label and within three weeks I noticed one starting to die. I gave it love and stroked it's leaves and within another week - dead as a doornail. Four more plants quickly bit the dust. I was convinced that I received a bad bunch of plants because I was caring for them just as I had read about. Luckily, Ikea has a plant guarantee and I marched back in for my replacements. Five new plants graced the living room and within another week - the two remaining original plants were dead. Not only could I not grow succulents, the only thing I could do was kill them. Completely discouraging considering how much I love the look of them.

I was utterly embarrassed to go back to Ikea to return more dead plants and I just came to the realization that succulents are not for everyone. It is a myth to believe they are low maintenance and yes, they will die on you.

In case you were wondering - the five replacements also died - it was just a matter of time.

I now have artificial succulents. I haven't watered them once and they look great. Thank you Hobby Lobby for helping plant challenged people like myself.

2 comments:

  1. I can't tell you how much I LOVE reading your blog. You make me laugh out loud and Bob says, "what", "what"! I then show him or read it to him. You are so dear to us and such a joy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and I could write a book on how to kill succulents. I love you sense of humor. Wish you lived closer so we could commiserate together :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...