Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Lego Costumes...part 1...

It was this time last year that I had the brilliant idea to create a family of lego costumes for Halloween. I'm great with coming up with grand ideas - the follow through on this one was pretty intense and I altered my plans a million times to simplify them. However, they will probably go down in history as my favorite Halloween costumes...ever. Fair warning - this project is not for the faint of heart - but perfect for the lego enthusiast!
DIY Lego Costumes: Lego Heads
Like I said before - it started with an idea when I was talking to my friend. I sent her this picture shortly later from Home Depot to let her know my plan was in motion.
DIY Lego Costumes: Lego Heads

This costume is really two parts: Heads and bodies. Today I'm talking about creating lego heads and they were time intensive.

The heads were created from cylinder concrete forms. I bought three different sizes for different sized heads. Cannon and Bennett used the 8in forms. Hallie and Hunter used 10in forms and Steve and I used 12in forms.

I used a jig saw to cut them to height - customized for each kid. To create the round edges I used 2in foam insulation (it comes with shine paper and the outside, I peeled it off) that I attached to the bottom with Gorilla tape and shaved and sanded the edges to make them rounded.
DIY Lego Costumes: Lego Heads
DIY Lego Costumes: Lego Heads

Each person chose which lego character they wanted to be and as such I had to create hair to match their character. Hindsight is 20/20 and doing it again, I would skip the hair and make everyone have the generic knob on top like typical lego heads have. But my vision by this point was way too big and I felt the need to create hair.
DIY Lego Costumes: Lego Heads
I layered the 2in foam and glued several pieces together. And then the carving began. Carve, shave, sand...repeat. My patio was a disaster for weeks. Every time someone came over, I had to explain the horrific mess.
DIY Lego Costumes: Lego Heads
DIY Lego Costumes: Lego Heads
I spray painted the heads yellow and sprayed the hair as well - the easiest of all the steps. Hallie even pitched in and helped paint.

I drew faces on with pencil and hand painted each of them and cut out the eye holes so we could see. (Hunter's is missing is big pirate hat on top of his head)
DIY Lego Costumes: Lego Heads

Finishing the heads was a breath of fresh air. The kids loved trying them on and I loved how they turned out. Seeing them complete gave me the motivation I needed to move on to the bodies because at this point - with all the time they had already taken - I was ready to just be lego heads for Halloween! One costume would've been completely manageable - a family of costumes was a bit much!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...