Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Keepsake box...

Hunter reminded me that he only has 6 weeks left of school. 6 weeks. I'm panicking just a little bit at the thought of 5 kids home all summer long...but that's another story.

With the end of the school year upon us, my kids are starting to come home with more projects and papers than ever before. It's always tough deciding what to keep and what to toss. But it makes it a lot easier when your kids don't care and they're not fishing papers out of the trash can.

Here's the system we use to manage all the school paper clutter (or memories...whatever you prefer to call it!)

I have one large filing box and different colored hanging folders for each kid. (I found the boxes at Staples and Amazon has just about every color of folder you could imagine.)

I designed the labels and they can be downloaded at HowDoesShe.com.
Keepsake box for kids papers and school work
Keepsake box for kids papers and school work
I printed the labels out on cardstock paper. The name plate will download blank – you can print it out and write on it or use your fancy photoshop skills and photoshop the name onto the document. Tape the nameplate on the inside of the box for easy recognition.
Keepsake box for kids papers and school work
Next, cut out the tab labels. I used the cardstock label tags that came with my folders and I placed my label on top of it. Arrange the tabs so they’re staggered, making each tab readable.
Keepsake box for kids papers and school work
On the front of each folder, glue or tape the “year in review” label. This is a quick snapshot of your child for that particular school year. You could also attach a school picture next to it if you’re feeling really ambitious.
Keepsake box for kids papers and school work
Keepsake box for kids papers and school work
My keepsake boxes are stacked in a closet. I only access them a couple times a year. I keep a small box without a lid that I throw papers in throughout the school year. Periodically, I’ll sit down and rummage through the box and put the papers in the appropriate boxes and folder. This is a task that your child can easily complete for themselves. I’ve known people to do this once a year at the end of the school year.

Find what works best for you and just stick with it!
Keepsake box for kids papers and school work

9 comments:

  1. My Foster Mum did something similar and gave it to me when I was 21 it was a lovely gift.
    Now in her 70's she's sorting through her things and will periodically send me a picture or piece of writing I did as a child which didn't go in my file. For example the wedding card I made as she and my Foster Father met through caring for me in a children's home.
    I also have a knitted elephant from my birth and a piece of my security blanket. These didn't mean anything until I got older but at 59 and widowed my box of childhood memories has come into it's own.
    Your little ones are to young to be bothered now, but down the years what a great keepsake for their children/grandchildren to.
    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that she did this for you. Like you mentioned - the kids won't appreciate it now, but they will someday when they have kids of their own. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. This is a great system! I've started something similar. Another idea is to put their school picture on the front of the folder too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen that done and I mentioned it in the post as well - that would requite me actually printing one of the thousands of pictures I take. One day! :)

      Delete
  3. I need a bigger box. Brody's is full at 2nd grade...or I need to keep less lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously?! That's funny - clearly I'm a purger because ours aren't very full!

      Delete
  4. I need a bigger box. Brody's is full at 2nd grade...or I need to keep less lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know if you'll see this question, but if you do... how do you decide what's best to keep? I have TONS of stuff for both my daughters from school. One is in 4th grade, the other one is in Pre-K.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a hard question because it's really personal for each parent. I don't keep a lot of their "craft" like projects - I take a picture and toss it because they take up a lot of space in the box. I keep a lot of their creative writing pieces. On top of that I keep pieces that are unique to them, their personality and sense of humor. And of course all cards and notes they write to their loving mother! :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...