Monday, August 22, 2016

Our Milwaukee house...

Have you ever moved from a home and then wished you could see it one more time to see what it looked like? When Steve and I visited Milwaukee a few years back we drove by our old house. From the outside it looked the exact same, except the pear tree we had planted in the front was much bigger. I was mustering up the courage to knock on the door to see if we could take a look when one of our old neighbors informed us they were out of town for the weekend. Part of me was bummed, and part of me was relieved, I wasn't sure I actually wanted to see what she had changed. I wanted it to live on in my memory just as we left it.

I was surprised this week when Zillow informed me of the house going up for sale, coming up on 6 years after we sold it. My curiosity got the better of me and I found myself excitedly waiting for the pictures to load.
 photo 5cd97c25-186c-4fdd-a6a4-18bcaa940a99.jpg
The first picture loaded and it looked like nothing had changed from when we left it. The entry was still painted red, the curtains we left still hung on the windows, the walls still painted stripes using flat/gloss paint and the clock and shelf we left in an alcove were still adorning the wall.
 photo cde6cd12-f778-4691-8c47-832d9d8a0551.jpg
 photo bd1fd94d-951d-4a6e-9f68-140f67355161.jpg
The kitchen was the same as well including the curtains. Our bedroom. The bathroom. Hunter's room. The basement. Paint, curtains, everything...it was the same. It was the weirdest feeling seeing our exact house years later. Even the leather sectional we sold with the house was still there. After going through the whole slideshow, we realized they painted two rooms - Hallie's room and the bathroom downstairs. Thats it. The rest of the house was just as we had left it.

 photo 6e06a86a-bb17-4546-a29b-399509cb5df3.jpg
 photo 67235525-908f-4345-97a2-227691f27687.jpg

I actually enjoyed seeing the inside again. I can't imagine someone moving into a house and not changing more than two paint colors, but that's me. In fact I look at that house and think how different I'd to it today. That house is where I learned how to renovate and my love for building started to take shape.

I'm sure the next time I see that house posted for sale it will look vastly different!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...